Carbon Monoxide Test and Gas Safety Check from

$440

Inc. GST

When and why do I need a carbon monoxide test and gas safety check?

We will test for Carbon Monoxide emissions, gas leaks and safe operation and installation of all gas appliances installed.

All property owners should have their heaters and gas appliances cleaned and tested for Carbon Monoxide (CO)by a qualified plumber at least once every 2 years as recommend by Energy Safe Victoria. Carbon Monoxide is a poisonous gas emitted by faulty gas appliances that has no taste or smell and cannot be seen. Prolonged exposure of high levels of Carbon Monoxide can cause long-term health effects such as heart disease and brain damage and has resulted in unnecessary deaths.

Independent Plumbing Inspections gas safety inspections and CO testing are comprehensive and exceed the requirements of the Australian standards.

Each inspection includes a detailed inspection from the gas meter and includes all gas appliances at the dwelling and includes checks for:

  • CO emissions, gas leaks and safe operation
  • Operational efficiency
  • Correct installation* and compliance
  • Negative pressure test
  • Pressure Test gas lines for leaks

*In accordance with: Australian Standard Gas Installations AS5601-2013 and, the Gas Safety Act 2008

Two different CO testing meters (different manufacturers)are used at each inspection so we can cross check if a spillage occurs and our CO testing meters are recalibrated every year as required in the Australian Standards.

The test and report are conducted and written by a victorian building authority licensed gas fitter.

We perform gas safety and CO tests on:

  • Space Heaters
  • Wall Furnaces
  • Decorative Gas Log Fires
  • Ducted & Hydronic Heating Units
  • Pool Heaters
  • Gas Lines
  • Hot Water Units – both storage and instantaneous
  • Upright Stoves/Cook tops
  • Barbecues (natural Gas/LPG)
  • NB: a typical home has 1 heater, 1 stove, 1 hot water service and 1 gas line

What are the dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

CO is highly poisonous, invisible, odourless and is very difficult to detect with the human senses. The build up of CO in the blood interferes with the body’s ability to supply itself with oxygen and is therefore dangerous to your health.

Under normal operating conditions, where gas appliances are well maintained and correctly ventilated, CO gas levels are minimal. High levels of CO can occur if one or more of the following conditions exist:

  • An appliance is faulty or is poorly maintained
  • A flue is partially or totally blocked
  • The heater is not adequately ventilated
  • Negative pressure occurs within the home

Energy Safe Victoria does not endorse the installation of carbon monoxide (CO) alarms as a method of reducing the threat of CO poisoning in homes, but strongly promotes regular maintenance of gas heating appliances to reduce the possibility of CO poisoning.

hidden
What are the early symptoms of CO Poisoning?

Early CO poisoning symptoms include:

  • tiredness
  • shortness of breath
  • mild headaches
  • nausea
When CO poisoning gets worse what may someone experience?
  • severe headaches
  • dizziness
  • weakness and sleepiness
  • nausea and vomiting

Extreme poisoning may lead to confusion, loss of consciousness and death. Loss of consciousness can happen quickly.

A doctor should be alerted when CO poisoning is suspected.

Who is at risk?

Some people are especially sensitive to CO.

This includes:

  • people with heart disease
  • people with anaemia
  • young children
  • unborn babies
  • the elderly

It is very important to note that small children are more susceptible to CO poisoning than adults.

contact ipi
BOOK NOW
Plumbing inspections